Podcast in English
Text size
Bulgarian National Radio © 2025 All Rights Reserved

Large-scale scheme for embezzling money from Hemus Motorway project revealed

Photo: BGNES

30 million euros of the money for lot 5 of the Hemus Motorway were diverted, the General Directorate Combating Organized Crime revealed. This happens after two days ago an operation in Sofia and other cities in the country, related to the construction of the Hemus highway was held. The money was transferred to hollow companies and then withdrawn in cash. Most of these fictitious companies were registered in the name of low-income people, and some of them were criminals.

A total of 45 million euros had been allocated in advance for the construction of Lot 5, and so far there have been no actual construction activities there. The investigation revealed that several crimes had been committed in the case. The General Directorate Combating Organized Crime has received information that people who are involved in these crimes wanted to destroy documents. This necessitated a large-scale operation. A total of 17 addresses have been searched so far and 20 people have been questioned. The investigation continues.




Последвайте ни и в Google News Showcase, за да научите най-важното от деня!
Listen to the daily news from Bulgaria presented in "Bulgaria Today" podcast, available in Spotify.

More from category

State-owned enterprises to combat corruption through a compliance officer

The National Assembly has introduced a new requirement for state-owned enterprises to implement corruption risk management systems, which will also include appointing an integrity officer. The measure is recommended by the Organisation for Economic..

published on 11/27/25 1:30 PM

Budget 2026 is being frozen, GERB are ready to rule with the old budget

GERB leader Boyko Borissov said that he did not like budget 2026 and it would be frozen. Speaking to the media in parliament, Borissov said that the Joint Governance Council of the formations in the government, the Prime Minister..

published on 11/27/25 11:18 AM
Hristijan Mickoski

North Macedonian Prime Minister mocks attacked Macedonian Bulgarian Vladimir Perev

North Macedonian Prime Minister Hristijan Mickoski accused attacked Macedonian Bulgarian journalist Vladimir Perev of staging the attack and self-harm, BGNES has reported. On November 21, in a shop in the center of Skopje, Perev..

published on 11/27/25 8:55 AM