Podcast in English
Text size
Bulgarian National Radio © 2025 All Rights Reserved

First court hearing of an EPPO case takes place in Sofia

Photo: eppo.europa.eu

The first court hearing of a European Public Prosecutor’s Office case took place in Bulgarian court. The thirty eight-year-old defendant Trayan Deliagov, a Genеral Expert employed at the State Fund Agriculture, has been in custody since September last year, 24 Chassa daily informs. The man charged with bribery to the tune of EUR 2,500 was brought to court for his first hearing. 

The defendant received a bribe from farmer Iliya Gangov from the village of Stroevo, Plovdiv district. Gangov owns 3 companies for production and trade in grain, oilseed crops, fruits and vegetables. He was approved for EU funding and was supposed to receive EUR 300,000, but the payment was delayed. Then he contacted Deliagov who asked for a commission to solve the problem. The farmer paid the bribe and received part of the payments. However, the state official asked for more money for the rest of the EU funds. Farmer Iliya Gangov reported blackmail. The official was detained on September 2, 2021.




Последвайте ни и в Google News Showcase, за да научите най-важното от деня!
Listen to the daily news from Bulgaria presented in "Bulgaria Today" podcast, available in Spotify.

More from category

State-owned enterprises to combat corruption through a compliance officer

The National Assembly has introduced a new requirement for state-owned enterprises to implement corruption risk management systems, which will also include appointing an integrity officer. The measure is recommended by the Organisation for Economic..

published on 11/27/25 1:30 PM

Budget 2026 is being frozen, GERB are ready to rule with the old budget

GERB leader Boyko Borissov said that he did not like budget 2026 and it would be frozen. Speaking to the media in parliament, Borissov said that the Joint Governance Council of the formations in the government, the Prime Minister..

published on 11/27/25 11:18 AM
Hristijan Mickoski

North Macedonian Prime Minister mocks attacked Macedonian Bulgarian Vladimir Perev

North Macedonian Prime Minister Hristijan Mickoski accused attacked Macedonian Bulgarian journalist Vladimir Perev of staging the attack and self-harm, BGNES has reported. On November 21, in a shop in the center of Skopje, Perev..

published on 11/27/25 8:55 AM