Podcast in English
Text size
Bulgarian National Radio © 2025 All Rights Reserved

Bulgaria has requested an extraordinary convergence report on the euro: PM Zhelyazkov

PM Rosen Zhelyazkov
Photo: BTA

Bulgaria has submitted a request for an extraordinary convergence report based on the understanding that the country meets the criteria for entering the Eurozone, Prime Minister Rosen Zhelyazkov said at the opening of a new production facility in Sofia.

“There are many steps that Bulgaria needs to take before it becomes clear whether it is ready to introduce the euro. The convergence report will probably be released in early June. After that, the findings of the European Central Bank, the European Commission, the Economic and Financial Affairs Council, the Eurogroup and the European Parliament will be examined and assessed. So there are many steps in which Bulgaria can show whether it is ready to introduce the euro from January 1, 2026,” Zhelyazkov also said.
He recalled that according to estimates, the gray sector in Bulgaria is about 30% and the goal is to lighten at least about 10%.



Последвайте ни и в Google News Showcase, за да научите най-важното от деня!
Listen to the daily news from Bulgaria presented in "Bulgaria Today" podcast, available in Spotify.

More from category

Delyan Peevski

''DPS – New Beginning'' urges that local taxes remain unchanged in 2026

“I call on all representatives of the Movement for Rights and Freedoms in local government — mayors and municipal councilors — to ensure security and predictability for the people and to take the necessary steps to keep all local taxes and fees..

published on 11/25/25 10:02 AM

Bulgaria rises in global digital quality of life ranking

Bulgaria has climbed to 11th place in this year’s Digital Quality of Life 2025 (DQL) index published by Surfshark, up from 18th last year, BTA reported. The index evaluates countries’ digital well-being across five dimensions: fixed broadband..

published on 11/25/25 9:45 AM
Todor Chobanov

Bulgaria expects the return of over 2,700 antiques from abroad

Around 90% of the antiques seized during an international operation targeting a cultural property trafficking network will be returned to Bulgaria, Deputy Minister of Culture Todor Chobanov told “Nova TV”.   “This is an unprecedented operation in..

published on 11/25/25 9:22 AM